The UK has a highly developed studio infrastructure and a long tradition of studio filmmaking. It boasts some of the most famous sound stages in the world, including Pinewood's 007 Stage, which remains the largest in Europe.
The numerous studios enable the UK to host a large number of films at any one time. The various studio complexes offer a range of stage sizes and excellent support services to meet the needs of any production. The studios are conveniently located in and around major cities, with good transport links. Specialist water tanks and underwater stages are also available.
The UK's major studios include:
- Pinewood Studios
- Shepperton Studios
- Elstree Film Studios
- Ealing Studios
- 3 Mills Studios
- Twickenham Film Studios
- The Paint Hall
- Dragon Studios
- Wimbledon Studios
Details of these studios are provided below. For further information, contact the British Film Commission. The office can also advise on alternative studio spaces should these be required. For more details see our Alternative Stage Space fact sheet .
Pinewood Studios (part of the Pinewood Studios Group)
Location: Situated between the M40 and the M4 motorways, just outside London, with easy access to Heathrow Airport (six miles) and the M25.
- 18 stages ranging from 1,800 to 59,000 sq ft.
- Seven large stages (including 007 Stage – the largest stage in Europe), seven medium stages and two small stages.
- Europe's leading, studio-based underwater filming stage, as well as one of the largest exterior tanks in Europe.
- Two digital television studios, audio post production facilities and a preview theatre (seating 113).
- 100 acre lot comprising a lake, formal gardens, fields and woods.
- Production accommodation.
- Over 100 specialist media service companies on site.
Shepperton Studios (part of the Pinewood Studios Group)
Location: 13 miles to the south west of London, near Heathrow Airport (five miles) and the M25 motorway.
- 14 stages ranging from 2,800 to 30,000 sq ft.
- Seven large stages, five medium stages, two small stages and backlots.
- Workshops, offices and a number of film facility and post production companies on site.
- Audio post production facilities and preview theatres.
Elstree Film Studios
Location: 15 minutes drive from central London, five minutes from a key motorway network (M1, M25 and A1). Easy access by train with direct rail links (including St Pancras International – 15 minutes). Close to major international and local airports.
- Six sound stages and one silent
- 60,000 sq ft of stage space ranging from 4,000 to 16,000 sq ft and from 25 to 50 ft high
- Two 9 ft deep internal tanks
- Over 30 support companies based on site
- Full supporting facilities
- 380 parking spaces
Location: West London, on the North Circular A406 road between the M40 and M4 motorways. London Underground stations nearby: Ealing Broadway or South Ealing (on the Central, District and Piccadilly lines). Overland train from Ealing Broadway to Paddington (6 mins).
- Four stages ranging from 970 to 11,600 sq ft.
- Facilities include workshops, offices, props stores, meeting rooms.
3 Mills Studios
Location: Bromley-by-Bow, east London. Close to the City of London, Canary Wharf and the Docklands developments. Seven miles from Soho. Set on a 20-acre historical and picturesque island site.
- 15 stages ranging from 3,200 to 13,500 sq.ft.
- Seven rehearsal spaces, 200+ production offices, prop stores, workshops, make up and dressing rooms.
- 24 hour security, parking, media village.
Twickenham Film Studios
Location: Situated south west of central London, ten miles from Soho and nine miles from Heathrow Airport.
- Three sound stages ranging from 2,000 to 7,500 sq ft.
- Indoor tank, post production centre, re-recording and dubbing, ADR and foley, cutting rooms, ISDN and video.
The Paint Hall
This vast facility, built for Harland and Wolff, was originally used for painting ships. It now operates as an alternative studio offering considerable space for productions.
Location: Set on an eight acre site five minutes drive from central Belfast.
- The building contains four 16,000 sq ft cells.
- The cells are set out in a square and connected by an internal road and streets.
Location: Dragon Studios is just off the M4 motorway and is 28 miles west of the capital of Wales, Cardiff.
- Four silent stages ranging in size from 10,130 sq ft to 20,481 sq ft (acoustic RW rating 25dB approx)
- Each stage has a two-storey office block attached
- Extensive backlot with permanent Norman castle set
Contact: David Ferris, Edwards Symmons LLP, Harford House, Frogmore Street, Bristol BS1 5LZ
T: +44 (0)117 934 2771
F: +44 (0)117 927 2006
Location: Situated 5min walk from South Wimbledon Northern line Tube, or 2minns from Tram link (2 stops to Wimbledon Overland train station (12mins London), or 10 stops to Croydon).
- Four stages ranging from 2,000sq ft to 8200 sq ft.
- Two large sound stages (including new electric scenery dock doors)
- One television studio and Gallery
- 55 Permanently Standing TV Sets - Including 2 Fully dressed Hospitals, 3 distinct Police stations, Courtroom, and Street Set (with working Pub)
- Audio post production facilities
- Five 2000-3000sq ft production offices
- Fully licenced Restaurant and Bar Areas, along with additional Coffee Shop
- Over 45 media Business units from 150 sq ft to 1000 sq ft , fully serviced and available for rent.